Monday 31 March 2014

A few transplant stats.

A lot of people tend to ask me where I am on the transplant list. I can't really answer that since it isn't a 'first come, first serve' system so there is no way of determining a specific ranking. There are two groups 'group 1 and 2' which puts people in high and low priority groups. So the lungs would go to someone who matched in group 1 before going to a match in group 2. Or maybe it's the other way around. I honestly forget at this point. I do know that I am considered in the 'low priority' group but if I start to decline then I will be switched to up to group 1....or down to group 2 (I easily forget non-essential medical information).

While I have no idea where I am on the list, I can give you some information about how many people are waiting and such.

As of March 31, 2014 in Ontario:

- There are 79 people waiting for a lung transplant. 44 Women, 35 Men.

- The blood type breakdown is: type A (my group!) - 29, type AB - 0, Type B-10, Type O- 40.

- Two people are waiting for heart + lung transplants. 1 Woman, 1 Man

-  A total of 1534 people are waiting for various types of organ transplants.

- The majority of people waiting are in the 51-60 age group with 473 people. The second largest group is 413 people. There are 72 people in my age bracket (18-30) and 31 people aged 0-17.  
 
- Only 24% of Ontarians are registered donors. That is 2.84 million out of 11.74 million people.

- There have been 22 lung transplants from Jan 01-March 31.

-From April 1 - December 31st 2013 there were 101 lung transplants. 95 at the Toronto General Hospital, 6 at the Hospital for Sick Children.

I found all this information on the Trilliam Gift of Life Network  if you want to check it out yourself. They have the Ontario stats for every organ donation over the past 10 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is there a certain milestone when you move from one group to the other?

Allison said...

I'm not sure, my last CF clinic they seemed to indicate if my lung function lowered I would be moved on the list but I don't know what else would make a difference.