Friday 14 August 2015

Cooking: Potato crust quiche

Since we have so many yummy veggies, I decided a new way to eat all the greens we have would be to put them in a yummy quiche. Also, I wanted to use up the old potatoes as the new ones are finally ready so I made up a potato crust. The other incentive for the potato crust was that I'm horrible at making pie crusts.

I combined two recipes from the "Simple in Season" cookbook (excellent if you eat a lot of seasonal veggies).

Potato crust: 3 cups grated potatoes + 3 Tbsp oil pressed into a pie dish and baked for 15 minutes at 425 or until brown and slightly dried out.

Filling: You can obviously use whatever you want for the filling but I did: beet greens (a bunch), a handful of snowpeas, some shelled peas, the rest of the beans we had (maybe a cup?), green onion, and garlic. I fried everything up briefly with some oil ahead of time. I like the veggies to still be crispy so I didn't fry them too long but that's a personal preference thing.

Add to 4-5 beaten eggs (depending on how big your pie plate is and the size of the eggs), 1 cup milk, 1 cup grated cheese, salt, pepper, and cumin (because I love cumin).

Pour into pie plate and bake for 15 min at 425, reduce heat to 350 and bake for 10-15 more minutes until firm but not too browned. Let it rest for 10 minutes otherwhile you'll burn your mouth on the veggies.

Enjoy!
Potato crush pre-baked.
Yummy filling!
Potato crust, post-bake, pre-fill. The bottom is still soft, it's hard to get everything evenly browned in my oven.
Filled and baked and ready to be enjoyed.

No comments: