Monday 25 April 2016

Aging Gracefully

Hello friends,

A lot of us are turning 30 this year. If I have to read one more Facebook post about how old you are and how you don't want to leave your 20s, I may scream and then block everyone.

I don't often pull the 'I almost died from lung failure' or the 'I have cancer' card but honestly, I almost died from lung failure and I have cancer so I have no sympathy for your fears of getting older.

I get that you've reached a milestone in your life where you feel as though you may not have accomplished all that you though you may have at this point. Or you're scared that you're no longer in your 20s and have to seem like an adult. I get that in some ways. You're allowed to feel how you feel.

But really, just be happy you're alive and healthy. Or just be happy you're alive.

Embrace life. Embrace the fact that you get to plan vacations or pay off your mortgage. Or any of those things that seem so boring. Because I almost had a panic attack when I set up a disability fund at the bank and somehow ended up locking in money for three years because I'm not sure I have a three year life-expectancy.

So, when your 30th birthday, or any birthday, comes around this year, instead of panicking about getting older, be thankful for all that you have.

Because you really don't want the alternative.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Your situation gives the everyday "concerns" of otherwise healthy people a different perspective. You are right that we need to value the things that are often too easy to take for granted.

Sharon Fawcett said...

I am glad you wrote this, Alley, and you have earned the right to a wee rant against those who bemoan the "loss" of youth! I didn't believe I would make it out of my twenties alive (due to a different kind of battle than those you've faced), and I can say that each year beyond 29, 39, AND 49 has been a gift. :)

Bonny said...

I agree with your post. I hear people complain constantly about getting older and hating those milestone birthdays. I look forward to them. I was diagnosed with cancer at 37 and making it to my 50th birthday was a thrill, because I was allowed the priviledge to grow older. Illness does give you a different perspective, and Sharon is correct. Each year is a gift.