I had my second pottery class last night and I'm pleased to report that the vase did not crack at the top. It did slightly at the bottom though so I guess it will be a decorative vase.
I spent all evening on the wheel and learned how to make a closed pot. It involves bringing the clay up as you would for a mug but then coaxing it together at the top so there ends up being a hollow shape. I sliced off part of the top which, in theory, will turn into a perfect fitting cover for the base. It was a lot of fun to try and I managed three successful ones. My back was killing me by the end of the night though, I think next week I'll have to give my back a break and glaze stuff.
I'll also try to remember to take pictures to make this update more interesting.