Thursday, 5 November 2015

Day 7 of hospital stay.

The last two days have been full of tests.

I had my pelvic ultrasound yesterday which I found out, when my nurse walked in with 4L of water, involves drinking enough water to make me feel ill for the entire day. The nurse told me to drink all the water in an hour (which I tried but ultimately failed to do) but when they sent me down, the tech said that it wasn't enough.

She sent me back with instructions to drink more. I drank water for the rest of the morning until I thought it was enough and felt super bloated. I went down again and the technician said that I was only half full but that it was enough to do the ultrasound. I would've cried if she told me I had to have more liquids. The results all came back negative which is excellent.

In the afternoon, I had a echocardiogram because the floor resident thought he heard a heart murmur and in my opinion, overreacted. It's good that echocardiograms are pretty easy exams and I didn't have to drink anything extra which was welcome news. Everything came back negative for that test too.

Today, was much more quiet. I had a lot of blood work drawn but no real tests. I got a unit of blood this afternoon as my hemoglobin is back down and have started the white blood count boosters. The boosters really burn while being injected so I hope they're being honest when they say it's only for one week.

As far as the biopsies go, they had to wait for my blood thinner levels were low enough to safely do the procedures. They were finally at a safe range today so my bone marrow one is booked for tomorrow at 11am. I'm not looking forward to it.

Everyone who has witnessed them, say that besides the pain, the worst part is hearing the needle burrow through the bone. Since they do it right in the room, I wonder if I'm allowed to listen to really loud music so I don't need to hear anything. I'm hoping that they'll let Isaiah stay in the room as well to distract me although I don't think he'll be a fan of the bone crunching noises either.

After that, they're going to wait for those results before going ahead with the liver biospy so that will probably take place early next week.

I've had no time to get bored. I'm really tired a lot so I've been spending time napping in between all the visitors I've been getting. I know I'm starting to feel better when I start getting antsy and want to go out on passes but since I'm not at that point yet, I'm still content with my colouring books and light reads.
My dragon colouring!


Heather McGrath said...

You are an amazingly strong woman, Alley, with a great sense of humour. I commend you for all you've gone through and continue going through. Colour, knit and enjoy the boredom! Thinking of you and praying for you.

Susan Pitman said...

love the dragon coloring... I've been using "coloring therapy" (or my name for it anyway) with the women in my group and they find it very relaxing and centering while they discuss the various issues in their lives. hugs and prayers and loud music!!! :-)

helen soucoup said...

Poked and prodded, it all sounds exhausting, and painful. Hope the results keep coming in negatives! Restful rest to you.
We'll be here waiting for the results. Thanks for being so good at keeping us informed. You are amazing!