Thursday 9 October 2014

The return of a missing person.

I discovered one good thing about my new time slot at physio, it means I see people who had mysteriously gone missing from my previously-regular time slot. If you remember back in August, around the time we had our family vacation, I mentioned that there was an older person at physio who was in quite poor health that I hadn't seen in several weeks.

They were always fairly consistent with attending physio at the same time as me, so I thought they wouldn't have changed times without a real reason. I hoped they had gotten their transplant and was hoping they had not gotten worse or died. However, when they never returned to physio during my time slot, I was pretty sure that they must have either gotten too ill to qualify for a transplant or had passed away.

Today, during my afternoon physio time, I saw the person again! They didn't die! They had their transplant and apparently moved to a different time slot for physiotherapy. It's amazing how a lung transplant transforms someones life. Post-transplant they were barely able to stand for any period of time without totally de-saturating. Now, they're walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes. I can only imagine how hard physio has been as their muscles that haven't been in use for so long start to rebuild and strengthen.

So hurray to good news stories,  There can never be too many of those in the transplant world.


1 comment:

Dave VanSlyke said...

I wonder if this person knew they were missing. I'm sure they would feel much better knowing that they have now been found......