Thursday 15 September 2016

Cooking: Ground Cherry Ginger Jam

I made ground cherry jam today with the massive amounts of ground cherries I currently have. I've never had such an overwhelming amount of them before. The two plants at the garden are massive and this week have decided to drop all the fruit.

Ground cherries look like this:

 
And taste something between a tomato and pineapple. I find them quite delicious after a meal but Isaiah doesn't like them very much so I can't really keep up with what we've been getting this year. Last year I made a small ground cherry and blueberry pie that was okay but this year I figured jam might be the way to go.

Ground cherries have an amazing amount of pectin in them so after looking at a bunch of recipes online, this is what I came up with, making two half-pint mason jars: 

1lb ground cherries (husks removed, obviously)
1 3/4 cups sugar 
juice of 2 lemons
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 star anise

I boiled the ground cherries, sugar, and lemon juice for about 30 min until they had all exploded and pretty much boiled down (at a point it all looks like weird ground cherry skins but then they dissolve in the syrup)


Then added in the ginger and star anise for the last 10 min of boiling.

Removed the star anise before bottling.

It set after being bottled. Don't worry about how runny it is, it will set.

Yum!

No comments: