Wednesday 25 May 2016

Cooking: Baked Egg in Avocado

Before Isaiah left on his trip, he bought a ton of discounted avocados and then jetted off to Ireland leaving me with a fridge of avocados to eat. Since mashed avocado on my sandwiches and hamburgers wasn't using them up fast enough, I decided to try the seemingly popular "baked egg in avocado" for breakfast the other morning. I've seen this recipe everywhere online, especially on lists like "top 10 gluten free breakfast ideas" or "10 things you didn't know you could do with a avocado."

It's a good idea. Avocado, egg, bacon, sea salt, how could it be bad? Well, it was weird. It kind of fell flat for me. It was just...weird. I'm not sure why it's so popular. I have a suspicion that people share recipes on list-sciles without actually trying them first.

My other problem with the recipe was that, despite my scooping out a bunch of the avocado to make room, half of the egg white fell out before I could get it in the oven. I should've scoped out more but then it would've been less of actually eating avocado and more like I'm just baking a egg in an avocado shell.

I would rather just eat bacon and eggs.

If you have large eggs, you need to scoop out more than this otherwise egg will go everywhere.
Egg pre-baking. I fried up bacon separately.
It looks so delicious! Too bad it tastes weird.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I'll eat just about anything once - many times if I like it. I don't like avocado. It tastes like slime on it's own but I can tolerate it when it's mixed with more tasty and full-bodied stuff. Sorry I can't be of much help with your avocado glut.......