Tuesday, 3 June 2014

To antibiotic or not to antibiotic?

It's been a week since my doctor appointment at St. Mikes so I'm suppose to now decide if the puffer is working or if I should start the antibiotics. Someone tell me if the puffer is working or not!

The argument pro-puffer would be that my coughing at night has decreased significantly, that I'm coughing less overall during the day, and that my energy has returned to mostly-normal rates.

The argument pro-antibiotics would be that I'm still quite congested in the mornings (but my saline mask helps), I'm still coughing up more sputum while exercising, and that my oxygen levels haven't increased back to their pre-cold state.

I would much rather not take the anitbiotics as the dosage is crazy high and I know they will immediately wipe out my energy and appetite. However, if they will increase my lung function and help in the long run, it would be worth it. Argh! Why did they leave this decision up to me? Don't they know how horrible I am with subjective 'reflect on how you're feeling' decisions?

I think I'll give it another two days with the puffer and see if anything changes since I really don't want the antibiotic side-effects. Or maybe I'll give it another week until my clinic appointment and they can tell me if I need the antibiotics or not.

It's times like these when I think how great it would be to get 'the call' right this second so I don't have to make a decision.

1 comment:

Dave VanSlyke said...

You say that you really "don't want the antibiotic side-effects" so I think that tells the tale. Go with your gut.