Wednesday 12 February 2014

So tired of motivational posters

I discovered this week that I can stream the Olympics on my phone at the hospital during physio. Hurray for hospital wifi! It also helps that CBC has great online coverage for all of the sporting events. Today I watched the womens snowboard halfpipe. It was very exciting. It is a much better way to pass the time while I am on the treadmill and exercise bike than staring at all the motivational posters. I am not one for motivational posters as I tend to take everything to a level of absurdity.

Like the example below "If you can dream it, you can do it." by Walt Disney.

Well, Walt, I have some pretty crazy dreams at night. I have dreams where I can fly, and breath underwater, and can jump over buildings, and walk through walls. I even dream that I will one day be looking down on earth from my moon castle but that probably isn't going to happen either.

More practically, I dream about traveling around the world and running marathons and climbing mountains and cycling trips. I can not do any of those things no matter how hard I dream. Maybe I will be able to do those things again one day (not that I was ever able to run a marathon due to my love of 'doing anything other than run') but not in the foreseeable future. Telling me that if I can dream it, I can do it just makes me feel bad about all the dreams I have that I can't fulfill.

I realize that I have spent way too much time thinking about this poster but in my defense, I do stare at it for 20 minutes three times a week. I think they need to start rotating their wall art. Or maybe I should start drawing pictures for them so they can move this poster out of my area of the room. I could write appropriate quotes such as 'if you have realistic dreams and work hard toward the goal, you may be able to do it. But sometimes it is out of your control. Learn how to deal with it.' I don't think they would sell very well. 
It is really hard to take a clear picture while walking on the treadmill. Also, what's with the boat? Are we suppose to have boat-related dreams?

2 comments:

Dave VanSlyke said...

Just imagine that the boat in the poster is waiting to take you away to some exotic place like Bali or Aruba (or PEI) as soon as you are well enough after the transplant. Hang in there!

Cassey said...

This post pretty much made me choke up with tears. I think I live very selfishly. Sometimes there are a lot of people like me that really don't appreciate being able to do what we do. We take advantage of that and we expect everything in life just to happen. Your post was very humbling.
Thank you for that.