Monday 7 November 2016

Cooking: Tiramisu

I forgot to share this delicious tiramisu I made. Mascarpone cheese was on sale at the grocery store so I had to buy it to make tiramisu. I made the ladyfingers from scratch which was easier than I had anticipated. And more delicious. I never realized how yummy ladyfingers are on their own. Probably due to all the sugar.

I put together the tiramisu the next day before we ate all the lady fingers. It was so good and didn't last very long.

I used a standard ladyfingers recipe and then Julia Child's Tiramisu recipe.

Ladyfingers:

1/2 c sugar
3 egg yolks
1t vanilla
- beat sugar into yolks, add vanilla, continue beating until thick and yellow.

3 egg whites
pinch salt
1T sugar
- beat whites and salt until soft peaks are formed, sprinkle on sugar and beat until stiff peaks.

1/2 c flour
- scoop 1/4 egg whites with yolks with 1/4 of the flour. Fold in. Add 1/3 of the flour and whites, repeat. Don't overmix!
Pipe into 4", 1 1/2" wide, 1" apart, sprinkle with icing sugar, bake for 20 min @ 300F. 


I'm not very even at pipping.

I started eating them all with jam as a little jam sandwich. So good. 

Tiramisu

1 16 oz mascarpone cheese
1/2 t salt
1/2 c + 2T icing sugar
3T + 1/3 c espresso (I probably used more than this)
1 1/2 t vanilla
3 1oz squares of semi-sweet chocolate, grated
1 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
2 t instant espresso coffee (I just used regular espresso)
2 3-4 oz packages of ladyfingers (or around 18 homemade ones)

- beat mascarpone, salt, 1/2 c sugar, 3T espresso, 1t vanilla, 2/3 chocolate
- beat 1c cream and fold into cheese mix.
- in a sepreate bowl, mix instant coffee, 1/3 c espresso, 1/2 t vanilla
- line dish with 1/4 ladyfingers, drizzle 2T espresso mix over (or...I dip the ladyfingers into the espresso before putting into the dish. It uses more espresso but it's so much better). Spoon 1/3 cheese over.
- layer more espresso ladyfingers, and cheese until done.
- sprinkle remaining chocolate on top.
-beat remaining 1/2c cream + 2 T sugar (and I added whatever espresso I had left) and pipe on top in pretty designs or blobs.
-Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.


Cheese mix.
Ladyfingers being stacked.
Ta-da!
Sooo good! Worth all the effort!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks so good!