Thursday 3 July 2014

Where is my transplant....

Well, as you can tell, June has passed and all is still quiet on the transplant-front. To be honest, I'm discouraged and am getting somewhat disheartened. For some reason, I really thought that June was going to be my month.

I'm not really sure why I thought it would be June, it just seemed like it would be the perfect month. I would have been recovered by the time the hot summer heat/humidity arrived, so I could really enjoy the summer. Plus, if I had the transplant last month, my three month recovery would have ended just as the apartment lease ended.  As well, not to be insensitive, but I thought that there would be an increase of drinking and driving accidents by teenagers at graduation parties which would mean more donors that are closer to my body size. Obviously, we can all agree that it's good that teenagers are not getting into fatal accidents around graduation.

The lack of transplant in June means that the timeline I had imagined when I moved to Toronto is gone. I hadn't really anticipated getting a transplant before May but I thought that I would at least have one by the end of June. I was so good with the waiting bit when I didn't think the surgery was going to happen. However, now that June has come and gone, my waiting anxiety has increased. I feel as thought I should create a new hypothetical timeline but I wouldn't even know which month I would guess at this point. I should start taking bets on it, 6/1 odds on August anyone?


Just for everyones information, according to the Trillium Gift of Life Network, as of July 3rd, in Ontario, there are 84 people waiting for a lung transplant and there have been 51 lung transplants so far this year. At least transplants are happening!

No comments: