Thursday 7 January 2016

Home fun!

Being home is fantastic! I'm feeling excellent and have been busy as a result. Hence the lack of update.

Isaiah and I headed back to the walking track when we got home which felt good. I mean, boring to walk around a track, but it was nice to be walking and working my muscles again. I'm really trying to get my muscle mass back from losing it in the hospital. My appetite is superb which means I should be gaining weight back any time now...hopefully.

I managed to make it back skating on Tuesday for a little bit. I was quite wobbly at the start being back again but made it in and out without any falls. There were more than me and the two regular men at skating which was nice to see. Everyone is starting their New Years Resolutions out strong. Stick with it, everyone!

Today I went skiing for the first time in three years. It was the first day Wentworth's opening day which meant only one run was open. I was a bit concerned that I would get bored with just one run but in the end, I got tired before any boredom could hit. It felt incredible to be skiing again. I got hit with the 'I can't believe I can do this again' feeling during the first run which I wasn't expecting. It's the same feeling I had the first time I went cycling post-transplant and again when I went kayaking and again when I went swimming...and basically any time I've done any new activity without coughing since the transplant.

I guess I thought that this far from the transplant that I would be over the whole 'I can do things now' but apparently it never gets old. I'm not sure how many 'new' activities I have left to return to that I would've loved pre-transplant. I guess there are new winter things but now I've gone skiing and skating that I think those are out of the way. I don't think if I go sliding it will hit me the same way but who knows. I'll let you know if it happens.

Skiing! Isaiah snowshoed up the mountain on the back trails while I used the lift to get up.


2 comments:

helen soucoup said...

Fantastic!

Unknown said...

So excited for you!!! Cheers to a new year!