Thursday 2 April 2015

When do we get to leave Toronto?

One thing that I know a lot of you are wondering (mainly because I keep getting asked) is when do I get to move back to the Maritimes. And my answer to that is "..ummmm...sometime...?"

The transplant booklet says everyone continues with physiotherapy and weekly or biweekly appointments for the first 3 months post-transplant. After three months, they usually refer people to their local physiotherapists or send them off into the wilderness.

However, due to my lenghty hospital stay and frequent infections, no one will give me a clear answer of when they think all of my complications will be figured out and I'll be able to return to NS. I need to fit in my follow up appointments with the neurologist, plastic surgeons, the anticoagulant doctor, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

My transplant coordinator did tell me to expect to be here until my six month testing (at the end of May) and possibly a bit longer. It wouldn't really matter when I'm officially discharged from their program except that we need to give two months notice on the apartment and I would rather not end up having to pay the full cost rent for two months. We also have to find somewhere to live in NS which isn't as big of a deal but still something that could take some time.

So, the answer to the question that I'm assuming someone is wondering is that I don't know when it will be time to move back to the Maritimes but at this point, late June would be the earliest.

1 comment:

Dave VanSlyke said...

This is a great long term (sort of) goal to stay focused on. Were you able to get your position held for another year?