Monday 7 April 2014

Apple Fritters.

I've had a craving for apple fritters ever since my trip to St. Jacobs so I decided to try making some to tie me over until Amy's visit at the end of the month. They aren't exactly the same as I didn't want to battering each ring individually so I just threw in chopped up apple bits instead. I think it worked just as well. Mmmmmm. 

I found the recipe on food.com and modified it according to the comments and my love of cinnamon.

Recipe:

1 cup flour
11/2 t. baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
3T sugar
1 egg
1/2-3/4 cup milk
1 apple, chopped (In retrospect, I think an apple and half would have been a better ratio)

Fry in some oil and sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon.


Batter all ready to fry!
Fritter #1: Too big. Burned on the outside, raw on the inside. It was later cut into pieces and refried.
Some pre- and post- sugared fritters.
Final haul. There were no survivors the next day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy!!!

Dave VanSlyke said...

Apple fritters are probably my favourite treat at Canada's iconic coffee shop. I'm going to give these a try real soon. Thanks for sharing (and the "test drive" on the recipe).

Allison said...

I don't know if I've ever had their apple fritters. I must have at some point but they obviously didn't make an impression on me. I think the ones from St. Jacobs stood out so much because they were so fresh and the apple still had some crunch to it.