Thursday 3 April 2014

Pottery class is awesome.

Pottery class was so much fun! It is not structured in any way so I think I'm going to have to come up with some project ideas so I don't spent too much time wondering what I should do for the next 7 weeks. Most of the people in the class already had projects on the go (such as one women's jewelry making for her etsy shop).

I spent 2 hours trying to master (or you know, minimize the amount of clay spraying everywhere) the pottery wheel. The instructor always makes it look so easy! Even though most people knew each other, everyone was really helpful with tips and suggestions for us new people. Once my shoulders were sore and I had a slightly off balanced bowl, I used the rest of the time handbuilding half of a salt and pepper shaker set. The clay shrinks about 10% in the kiln so I'm a little concerned that my shaker will collapse in the kiln as it is not exactly structurally sound.

I also picked up Amy and I's bowls from the drop-in classes. The colours are much more vibrant post-kiln.

2 comments:

Dave VanSlyke said...

You are right about the colours being vibrant! Really bold!

Helen said...

Pottery masterpieces for Christmas? I'm in!