Sunday 27 August 2017

Cooking: Spiced Kale Shaksuka

I thought I would share this recipe I tried last week. I randomly flipped through the Impatient Foodie cookbook by Elettra Wiedemann when it came into the library and the recipe caught my eye. I made it during one of the cooler rainy days when I actually wanted to be cooking instead of just throwing stuff on the bbq. The author also apparently has a blog that I had never heard of but looks like it has some interesting ideas for vegetarian meals.


The recipe is for Spiced Kale Shaksuka. It's a great way to use up any greens and/or tomatoes you have around.
The cookbook. No other recipe really grabbed my attention so back to the library it goes.
What it's suppose to look like.
Ingredient list. I used beet greens instead of kale because that's what we had. I didn't chop them up super small and Isaiah complained that it wasn't very scoopable with the long stems. So next time, maybe I should actually follow the recipe. I cut the recipe down a bit and used 4 eggs because 6 seemed like way too many for 2 people and poached eggs do not make good leftovers. The recipe says it serves 6 and uses 6 eggs so I guess we eat more than we should.
1) Not browning garlic is very hard. 2) It took longer than 4 min for my eggs to poach in their little wells. Maybe they weren't deep enough? It took about 6 min and I peaked many times after the first 4 minutes. It did not ruin anything. 3) I cooked everything in a mid-size pot because I thought it wasn't enough food for a 12-inch skillet when I cut it by 1/3. It probably would've been fine in the skillet but the pot worked great too.
Yum!
Served with hamburger-type buns. Great recipe for when you're craving eggs but want more than eggs and toast.

No comments: