Sunday 12 March 2017

Cooking: Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies

Now that the weather has turned cold again we're back to eating soup and drinking tea to stay warm. And with tea comes cookies! 

Today I made one of my favorite cookies (I say that about most cookies), peanut butter and jam! They're like eating a pb&j sandwich but without the bread and with more sugar. Hard to go wrong. It's also a great way to use up all the jam we made last summer and haven't eaten. I'm not sure where we got the idea that we needed 20 bottles of jam for the two of us. Over Christmas I made chocolate jam cookies and they were a bit weird so from now on, I'm sticking with peanut butter.

Recipe from One Smart Cookie.

3/4 c white sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c peanut butter
2 egg whites
1/2 c flour
pinch salt
jam (the recipe says 1/4 cup but I use more than that)

Beat together sugar, peanut butter, and egg whites.
When smooth add flour and salt and mix by hand until smooth.
Roll into 1" balls, place 1" apart on cookie sheet, and press a thumbprint into the middle.
Fill the thumbprint with jam, be generous as they really spread when cooked.
Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes until brown on the edges.
Let them sit on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack (otherwise they'll break in pieces and then you'll have to eat them all to hide the evidence).

I've used strawberry, apple jelly, and ground cherry jam in the past. It's hard to go wrong but I think apple jelly is my all time favorite so far. Enjoy with a cup of tea or glass of milk!

Yum!
My afternoon chai latte and cookies. Let's just pretend I stopped at three. My poor sugars.

1 comment:

Dave said...

You can't go wrong with cookies and tea on a frigid March day - enjoy!