Thursday 2 June 2016

Cooking: Stuffed Mackerel with couscous, pepper, and carrots

This is a recipe I made up last week. I dug out the fish to BBQ but then it ended up being a kind of miserable and rainy day so I decided that baking was the best choice. 

I cooked up a cup of couscous and mixed it with a carrots, yellow pepper, garlic, onions, and the Moroccan Road spice (shown below, basically just cumin, coriander, salt, and nutmeg) that I fried up for a few minutes to soften (mostly because I hate raw onions). 

While that was all cooking, I de-boned the mackerel which was quite the task. I know deboning is better done after the fish was cooked but as I was trying to stuff it, I thought I should do it before. I got most of them out but I think I took more fish along with the bones than really necessary.  

After I stuffed the mixture in the fish, I baked it in the oven for about 10 minutes. In the end, it was good that I opted not to BBQ as all the filling fell out while it was being baked. I ended up having way too much filling for the little fish so I just ate the rest on the side. It was all quite delicious. 
 
Yummy spice mixture.
Yum!

No comments: