Monday 5 October 2015

Blood Transfusion.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I had an interesting one. Thursday, my friend came back to NS from far away (St. John's) for our friends' wedding (and to see me, of course). We spent a few days hanging around rainy Springhill which was slightly less exciting. I was super excited for her visit and then ended up feeling crappy the entire time.

I felt dizzy and sick on Friday. The bloodwork results showed that my hemoglobin was still low so I was told to go to the hospital to get a blood transfusion. I didn't want it to happen but I wasn't too surprised by the call. We were heading up the hill when I got a call from the hospital to not come in until Saturday as they didn't have the blood on hand.

I was a bit stressed with the timing issue as the wedding was in the afternoon in Halifax area so I woke up bright and early on Sat morning and headed up to the hospital. I got in right away and they managed to get an IV in on the second try which is pretty good. I signed all the forms, told them that I had received blood in the past, and was able to get hooked up immediately which was excellent. It took three hours to go through which was quite boring, I don't remember it taking so long last time but I guess that time, they probably could push it through a PICC line a lot faster than a little IV. Good thing I had lots of podcasts to listen to while I dozed on and off.

After that was done, we took off to Halifax to get ready to the wedding. It was beautiful and we had a great time but I got tired super early. I'm not sure if it was the blood or not sleeping well the night before but I was exhausted by 9. I felt a bit better dizzy-wise on Sunday and felt even better this morning, I still have some nausea and incredible back pain but at least my dizziness is somewhat better!

I went for blood work this morning and it turns out that my hemoglobin levels are up a bit but not as much as hoped. It explains why I'm still quite tired when I do anything. I hope I don't need more blood but it seems like it's going to be the only way to get my levels back up. Red meat isn't doing the trick.
Sweet new blood.
Thank you to everyone who donates blood!

No comments: