Thursday 6 November 2014

Pottery: Isaiah don't look!

I have so much pottery to share! Well, it seems like a lot considering I'm just going to drop in classes. I've actually been going which is great. I thought I might run out of things to make but that never seems to be a problem. 

I re-glazed the teapot after finding it pretty streak with just two coats. And it was out of the kiln last night when I went to drop-in class! Yay! And it pours! Double Yay!! It's not perfect in any way (very much has the 'travelling through space' look) but I'm still very proud of it. I had glazed the dalek mug with camel and copper and it turned out pretty cool as well. It's going to be hard to wait until Christmas before I give it to Isaiah. I want to start using them both right now.


Last night, I also glazed the bowl for my friend with old copper and dragonfly, I hope the combination is a beautiful as I'm imagining it will be. Some of the pieces end up being a giant surprise.



A surprise like this pitcher that I 'rescued' from the give away box. It was in the give away box and was too lovely to pass up. I don't understand how people make these perfect pieces and then never return for them. I figured it was definitely worth the 5$ it cost to glaze and re-fire it. I glazed it with gator and teal and it turned out quite unexpectedly weird. Apparently the gator separates into sections (like scales I guess? Must be why it's called gator). I didn't notice it as much when I used it previously but I had used it on a textured plate so perhaps that was the difference. I have no idea why these things happen. It's so weird but I kind of love it.


I spent the rest of my time (which flies by even faster in the 2 hr drop-in classes) making little snowman ornaments. I picked up a cookie cutter at Value Village and thought they would make fun ornaments. I wanted to make ornaments but needed something that would work even with the back not being glazed (as you need one side not glazed). I thought snowmen was my best option although last night I thought snowflakes would be good too if I can figure out how to make one without it falling apart.

One of the snowmen lost his hat.
Finally, I also got back the dog mug I made for my brother-in-law for Christmas. Amy sent me a photo of their German Pointer's paw, I traced the shape onto tracing paper which I then used to cut out the three paw prints from the clay. I glazed it with old copper and camel which has become one of my favourite glazing combinations.
 

4 comments:

Dave VanSlyke said...

Truly impressive! It's clear that you really enjoy pottery class.

Unknown said...

If you look inside the teapot, I bet there's a swimming pool inside.

Anonymous said...

love it all!

Allison said...

Haha yes Jason, it'll hold more tea than expected!