Wednesday 15 January 2014

I'm sick, Booooooo.

Since Sunday, I've been feeling more tired than usual. On Monday at physio my oxygen levels were a bit low and I found the work out to be harder but I was hoping that tea and sleep could get me out of the lull. Then on Tuesday when I coughed up some blood, I figured I was actually getting sick. I have only coughed up blood (or had a 'hemostasis episode' as the doctors say) a few time in my life and it has freaked me out every single time. Especially when the blood is fresh looking. In Hollywood, people always cough up blood and then immediately die so surely that must be true? Apparently no. Hollywood has once again let us down.

Previously, when I've panic-y called my doctor about coughing up blood, she has always said that it was probably just irritation from coughing so much. The doctors never seemed to understand why I would be panicking.Well doctor, it's because it is scary to cough and then have blood come up!

Thankfully, I already had a transplant clinic scheduled for today. This was my second transplant clinic and so far they have both involved sitting around for hours for a 10 minute doctor visit (despite being told both apts I will be seeing the transplant coordinator, dietitian, and maybe the social worker).  I told the doctor about the week and asked if I could get an x-ray to see if I had pneumonia. She agreed and send me for an x-ray, blood work, and nose swab.

She sent me home and called me around 6:30 to say that I don't have pneumonia! However, I do have elevated white blood count levels so I am to start an antibiotic first thing tomorrow with strict instructions that if I cough up any more blood to go to emerg. It has been about a year since I've needed an antibiotic for a inflammation so I guess yay for that!

No comments: