Sunday 24 June 2018

I had a clinic appointment last week and my lung function is back up! It had dropped right before I went to Hawaii (causing much panic for me) but the antibiotics worked and the cold went away.

My FEV1 is the same as it was a year ago so that's great news. Stable is great. My predicted % value is a bit lower because my height has gone up 3cm and that changed the calculation. Apparently I'm having a growth spurt at 31! Or, another (less likely) explanation is that the nurse who measured me rounded up my height from 157cm to 160cm. It's definitely the growth spurt though.

I asked the doctor what my current predicted life expectancy would be because I have put money into a registered disability savings plan and I would like to start withdrawing the money at some point in the near future. You either have to be 55 (I think? Over 50 for sure) to withdraw it normally or have a life expectancy of less than 5 years to withdraw it early.

I always thought I was in the "about 5 year" range but the doctor said she wouldn't give me a definite number on that because I've been in that range for 3 1/2 years (since transplant) with no signs of rejection so it's looking like it would be longer.

The predicted life expectancy changes about every year post-transplant, there is a chart that I've seen somewhere, but it's basically that if you're ok after 4-5 years, you're likely to be okay for another 5. Immediately after transplant is different than after the two year mark when the body hasn't started rejecting the new organ.

The doctor is going to get back to me with a more definite number so I can see about the banking situation but it's good news that they think I'll live longer!

1 comment:

Sue said...

great news Allie - all around! especially the getting taller part!! must be all the hiking ! :-)