Thursday 10 July 2014

Pottery Class Take 2!

I started pottery class again last night! I decided it was worth taking a second class as I love it so much. It helps me be okay if I don't have the transplant in the next 8 weeks because I have pottery to make. I already stayed up too late last night thinking about what I should make for my remaining 7 classes.

Last night, I spent the entire three hours on the wheel and my shoulders are complaining today. I feel like I should have stretched beforehand or maybe I should have been lifting heavier weights to prepare. I was a bit more successful centering the clay (which I think explains the sore shoulders) so my bowls were a bit less lopsided. However, I still need to work on making the walls even as they tend to get too thin in the middle and then the entire side collapses. For some reason I don't think bowls with a thumb hole in the middle will make great gifts.

As I plan on making mostly Christmas gifts this time, I won't be giving weekly updates although it will be hard to resist sharing some pieces. I hope I don't ruin too many surprises. I may also not give updates because if it's anything like last night, the instructor whisked away all my pieces before I had a chance to take a picture.

I did get my leaf vase back after I re-glazed it and I'm so happy with the results. The colouring is perfect and works with the texture this time, it's even better than what I had planned. The only problem is that I don't think I'll be able to recreate the effect. It will truly be one of a kind. If only I had some flowers so I could put it to good use. 


I'm in love with the marbling effect.

No comments: