Thursday 15 May 2014

Pottery Class #6

As I suspected, my vase from Sunday wasn't yet out of the kiln. I spent most of the class making a large fruit/serving bowl in the same style. It isn't quite as curved as I had anticipated but I like the way it turned out.

I spent the rest of the class painting the bowl and tiny cup. I used the cup as a test run for the colours I would like to use on the leaf pieces. I painted it teal with a blue underglaze and a light raspberry coat on the outside. I just made up the colour combos instead of using a tile suggestion so we'll see how it turns out. I can always paint over it again if it looks weird. For the bowl, I used 'burnt sugar' (redish brown) for the first coat and teal for the rest.

I also repainted the flower bowl because it had turned out streaky the first time. I opted for a raspberry coat which is apparently my new colour of choice. I found how that it is significantly harder to paint something that has already been glazed as the piece doesn't absorb anything. It takes way more time.

Only two classes left! Where did the time go? I still have so many ideas of things to make. Do I spent my remaining time handbuilding something, work on getting better on the wheel, or on getting the glazes right for the stuff I have made? So many options! I love that 'what will I make at pottery' is now the focus of my stress. There is no time to get depressed over my ever-declining lungs when I have pottery to make.

The plastic will be removed in a day or two when it's dryer but it will be fired inside the bowl to avoid losing the shape.
 

2 comments:

Dave VanSlyke said...

Your pottery skills are amazing - keep up the good work. I'm glad that you are enjoying this creative distraction.

Anonymous said...

Now you can also stress over what to put in your leafy bowl. Fruit, nuts, veggies, pocket change? What would accent it the best?