Sunday 8 April 2018

Crafts: Oven Mitts and Apron

I've been on a sewing roll! Apparently once I get started with ideas, it's hard to stop.

I finished my kitchen set with the Hawaiian print fabric! After making prototypes with the fun vegetable fabric to work out the mistakes, I finally made the official set. It's so much more stressful when you actually care about the fabric and only have two yards.

The Hawaiian print apron is reversible because that's what Isaiah asked for. I guess so he can choose the fabric side based on his mood, maybe? Or maybe to match his outfit that day. We saw reversible print ones at a market in Hawaii so I guess the idea stuck.

After looking at oven mitt patterns online, I ended up tracing the oven mitt we have and using that to reverse engineer a pattern. I top stitched a grid to attach the fabric to the heat-resistant fabric. Then I cut out two mitt shapes, sewed strips to hide the edges, added a hanging loop, sewed the two mitts together, turned inside out, and voila! A way to pull things out of the oven without burning myself.

The pot holders were much easier, I just used the extra pieces that were already top stitched and sewed them together with some bias-type fabric I made.

Now I have two aprons after never owning an apron before in my life. The current struggle is to remember to wear it before I start baking instead of after I already have flour all over my pants.

I'm thinking about making a tea cozy and maybe one of those giant double oven mitts with the extra heat resistant fabric I have. I'm not really sure what else to do with it. I don't need more oven mitts. The six I now have seems quite excessive.


 Protypes!

I'll be thinking of Hawaii every time I bake.

3 comments:

Alicen said...

Great job! I love the fabric

Sonia W Warangie said...

Heat protective apron would serve exceptionally well in places like casting houses, steel plants, foundries, power plants and other such places

Oliver said...

I got know your blog's content and your blog skill both are always good. Thanks for sharing this blog this content is very significant for me I really appreciate you.
Try these out
More info here